A few of my coaching clients have recently had to take on new teams or hire new people and grow their teams rapidly.
Here are some great questions to get to know your new folks in your 1:1's. Remember to answer the questions yourselves as well - this relationship is about reciprocity - Enjoy :)!
- What will make this relationship rewarding for you?
- What approaches encourage or motivate you? and discourage or de-motivate you?
- How will you know you are receiving value from this relationship?
- If you trusted me enough to say how to manage you most effectively, what tips would you give?
- What else would you like me to know about you?
- What do you do when you're really against an obstacle or barrier?
- What makes you angry, frustrated or upset?
- What's easy to appreciate? what matters in the more difficult times?
- What works for you when you are successful at making changes?
- Where do you usually get stuck?
- How do you deal with disappointment or failure?
- What is the compliment or acknowledgement you hear most often about yourself?
- What words describe you at your best?
- What words describe you when you are at less than your best?
PS Don't use them all at once ;) take your time getting to know each other and working together